Global Voices

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Syria: Tweeting from the Frontline in Aleppo

Journalist Jenan Moussa is back in Aleppo, Syria, tweeting her experiences as the war between pro- and anti-government forces intensifies. Moussa's tweets are raw and personal, giving readers a snippet of what life is like for those caught in the crossfire.


Moussa observes:



@jenanmoussa: Its great to be back in #Aleppo & meet all my friends. City seems much better than last time I was here. People adapted to war.



Dinner, in Aleppo, is accompanied by the sounds of mortars falling in the distance:



@jenanmoussa: It's dinner time here in #Aleppo. We are having Mexicana chicken as sound of mortars echoes at a distance.



After a night in the city, Moussa wonders:



@jenanmoussa: Morning from #Aleppo. I couldn't sleep till 6 am. Everytime I closed my eyes I imagined bombs falling. God, how do ppl stay sane?



In Aleppo, she visits the site where a Scud missile fell some 45 days earlier. She tweets:



@jenanmoussa: Earlier today I went to site where SCUD missile fell 45 days ago in #Aleppo. 6 bodies are still missing under rubble



Jenan Moussa in Aleppo

Jenan Moussa in Aleppo, at the site where a Scud missile fell 45 days earlier. Photograph shared by @jenanmoussa on Twitter




@jenanmoussa: In #Aleppo I saw a father sitting on rubble, tears in his eyes. He's still looking for bodies of his 2 beautiful daughters & wife




@jenanmoussa: While I was w/ him, father found slippers of a child & handful of hair ( woman's hair) under rubble. ‘Maybe it's my wife’ he told me



Despite the stressful situation, Moussa maintains her humour:



@jenanmoussa: Activists here in #Aleppo laugh at me. I am sometimes only one wearing my flak jacket in house. They are used to the sounds of war.



And then goes to sleep without dinner:



@jenanmoussa: We didn't have dinner tonight. Also no shower. Not a necessity in a city like #Aleppo. Good night you all.








via Global Voices » Feature http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/04/09/syria-tweeting-from-the-frontline-in-aleppo/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home